Many people struggle with their self esteem. Here are nine quotes to help you accept yourself and live a much happier life.
1. “She lacks confidence, she craves admiration insatiably. She lives on the reflections of herself in the eyes of others. She does not dare to be herself.” – Anais Nin
The first key to improving your self esteem is to understand that to feel good about yourself, you have to be willing not only to accept who you are despite other people’s perceptions, but also to BE who you are. The more time you spend as yourself, the more comfortable you will be in your own skin.
2. “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.” – Fred Rogers
If you are having a difficult time coming to terms with who you are as a person, instead take the time to think about how you can change and improve the lives of the people around you. You have the power to touch lives everywhere you go. All you have to do is believe that the things you are doing and saying, and the things you can offer to the world, are going to be meaningful to the people you meet in your life.
3. “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising which tempt you to believe that your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires courage.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
There are always going to be people who do not want you to succeed. Either that, or they will constantly point out your flaws, not realizing that in doing so they are making you feel like you are making too many mistakes. Don’t believe everything other people say about you. People will criticize you, but that does not mean they are always correct in doing so. If their criticism is not constructive, it is not worth believing.
4. “A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.” – Mark Twain
Stop disapproving of the way you are. You are mistaken if you think you can love who you are if you constantly criticize the things you say and do. Learn to stop judging yourself so harshly. No person is perfect, and neither are you. The moment you can say with honesty that you approve of your true self, you will start to realize that it does become easier to be comfortable with yourself.
5. “A healthy self-love means we have no compulsion to justify to ourselves or others why we take vacations, why we sleep late, why we buy new shoes, why we spoil ourselves from time to time. We feel comfortable doing things which add quality and beauty to life.” – Andrew Matthews
When you have high self esteem, you do not have to explain yourself. People can judge you all they want, but it no longer bothers you. That is a sign that you know the best ways to take care of yourself regardless of what other people might think.
6. “Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life, but define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein
You are the only one who is allowed to define who you are. No one else has permission to silence you when you are trying to raise your voice for the sake of something important. Anyone who does is not worth your time. Don’t give them the satisfaction of knowing they have beaten you. You are stronger than that.
7. “Because one believes in oneself, one doesn’t try to convince others. Because one is content with oneself, one doesn’t need others’ approval. Because one accepts oneself, the whole world accepts him or her.” – Lao-Tzu
Did you know your opinion of yourself can influence the way other people feel about you? If you carry yourself in a way that gives off the impression you do not feel confident, people will treat you like someone who is not brave enough to stick up for themselves. Carry yourself with confidence and self acceptance, and people will be less likely to treat you otherwise.
8. “When you adopt the viewpoint that there is nothing that exists that is not part of you, that there is no one who exists who is not part of you, that any judgment you make is self-judgment, that any criticism you level is self-criticism, you will wisely extend to yourself an unconditional love that will be the light of the world.” – Harry Palmer
Take steps toward learning to love yourself, no matter what it takes. Throughout your whole life you are going to encounter people who just want to tear you down whether they mean to do it or not. You need to learn not to depend on other people for your feelings of love and acceptance toward yourself. That is up to you. When you love yourself, it is much easier for other people to love you as well.
9. “It’s surprising how many persons go through life without ever recognizing that their feelings toward other people are largely determined by their feelings toward themselves, and if you’re not comfortable within yourself, you can’t be comfortable with others.” – Sidney J. Harris
If more people understood how self esteem works, perhaps there would not be as many people with self esteem issues. The only reason you feel uncomfortable around other people is because you expect them to have high opinions of you, and when they don’t, you struggle to target the parts of you they don’t like and figure out why. You need to love and accept those parts of you, or no one will ever accept them for what they are.
Remember, it all starts with you. When you can accept who you are, other people will surely follow.