Looking for some great quotes on self-respect? Then you ‘ve come to the right place.
Check out the following awesome 9 quotes that really get to the meaning of what self-respect is all about…
1. “Respect yourself and others will respect you” – Confucius
Ah – a great one to start with. Because it’s totally true… Why on earth should others respect you if you don’t feel that way about yourself? And if you don’t? Well, it’s time to delve a little deeper into the reasons behind that – and perhaps seek some professional help if necessary.
2. “If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete” – Jack Kornfield
All too often we give more to others than we do to ourselves. So if you feel that this is true for you, then it’s time to rearrange your thinking a little. Sure, we’re all hard on ourselves – but this doesn’t mean it’s right. So give yourself a break – because you probably deserve it.
3. “They cannot take away our self respect if we do not give it to them” – Mahatma Gandhi
No list of self-respect quotes would be complete without one from Gandhi! And this one gets straight to the point. Self-respect comes from within – from the self. And no-one – absolutely no-one – can change that. Remember that when times are hard…
4. “Walk tall, or baby, don’t walk at all” – Bruce Springsteen
Gotta love The Boss! And this is a great quote. In fact, you can fake self respect to a point. Because even if you’re feeling low, simply the action of holding your head up high and walking tall gives the impression that actually, you feel great about yourself.
So next time you’re feeling a little self doubt, give it try. You’ll be amazed at how you can change the way you think, simply by acting in a different manner.
5. “Self respect: the secure feeling that no-one, as yet, is suspicious” – H.L Mencken
This one is a little tongue in cheek, we have to say. But you have to admit that it is funny. In fact, it’s got something in common with the quote just above – it’s all about faking when those doubts creep in. And at times, it really can work…
6. “Self respect permeates every aspect of your life” – Joe Clark
Oh yes, it certainly does. When you have good self respect it shines through. It’s obvious in your personal life, your professional life, and you can be sure that everyone around you knows that you respect yourself.
7. “Low self respect is like driving through life with your handbrake on” – Maxwell Maltz
This is so very true. Because it really does drag you down, slowing you from reaching your goals, and making you expend more energy to get to where you want to be. If you suffer from low self respect, you owe it to yourself to get to the root of the problem and move forward to a happier, more positive state of mind.
8. “Why should we worry about what others think of us? Do we have more confidence in their opinions that we do our own?” – Brigham Young
An outstanding question. Because who on earth has more valid opinions about our self worth than we do ourselves? Low self respect comes from believing that others view us in a critical way. And, even though at times it might feel like it, they mostly don’t.
So stand tall, be proud, because you.inc is an amazing person – and don’t ever tell yourself any different.
9. “Too many people over value what they are not and undervalue what they are” – Malcolm S. Forbes
Yep – far too many people do this. So instead of focusing on your negatives, concentrate on what you’re good at. In other words, big yourself up a little. Because you truly do have talents, abilities, and amazing qualities. You just need to believe in them…