1. Portobello Bacon Avocado Breakfast Sandwich
Perfect for those times when the bacon cravings come-a-calling, sandwich crunchy rashers between grilled mushrooms and add some healthy fats with a few avocado slices.
- Bacon strips
- Portobello mushrooms
- Cut the bacon rashers in half, cover and cook to just how you like them
- Remove from the heat and let the bacon drain onto a plate
- Pour off most of the bacon fat and replace the pan back over a medium heat
- Slice the stem off the mushrooms, leaving you with the flat cap
- Cook in the bacon grease for about 2 minutes
- Put the caps on a plate, stack on the lettuce, avocado, and bacon, and place the second cap on top
- Voila! A Paleo friendly sandwich…
2. Paleo Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread
Who doesn’t love banana bread? And when you add in Paleo friendly chocolate chunks, this is a paradise combination…!
- 4 bananas, mashed
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup almond butter (or any nut butter)
- 4 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ½ cut coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 6 oz. dark chocolate (chopped into chunks)
- Grease a 9” x 5” loaf pan, preheat oven to 350F
- Combine the bananas, eggs, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and nut butter
- Ad the coconut flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and sea salt. Mix well. Fold in the chocolate chunks
- Pour into the greased pan and spread evenly
- Bake in over for around 40-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for around 30 minutes. Flip out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Cut into squares – and enjoy
3. Zucchini and Egg Breakfast
A perfect post-workout breakfast…
- ½ cup diced zucchini
- ½ cup diced yellow squash
- ½ onion, cut into chunks
- 1 whole tomato
- 1-2 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- Melt the ghee in a skillet over a medium-high heat
- Add the onions and cook until soft
- Add the zucchini and yellow squash. Season to taste. Cook for 5-7 minutes – remove from heat
- Grill the tomato in a grill pan and set aside
- Fill a medium sized saucepan to the boil. Add the apple cider vinegar.
- Crack the egg into the water and allow it to swirl in the water until it begins to set – around 1-2 minutes
- Place the vegetables in a bowl and set the egg/s on top. Lay the tomato on the side.
- Sprinkle the eggs with salt and pepper to taste, and you’re all set for a deliciously healthy breakfast treat.
4. Paleo Granola
Store bought Paleo granola is all very well. But there’s something about making your own…
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cut coconut flakes
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 275 F
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl (you could melt the coconut oil a little to help it mix well)
- Spread the mixture in a flat layer on a greased baking sheet
- Bake for 40-50 minutes. Give it a mix every 10 minutes to ensure even cooking
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Eat what you like and save the rest for tomorrow…
5. Shrimps and Grits – Paleo Style
A Paleo take on a good old U S of A favorite…
Ingredients (for the shrimp)
- 15 raw shrimps, shelled and de-veined
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 minced garlic cloves, divided
- Zest of a lemon
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 2 rashers bacon
- ½ large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Ingredients (for the grits)
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ghee or butter
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Mix together the olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic, lemon zest, and 1 teaspoon dried oregano in a bowl. Place the shrimp into the mixture and marinate for 1-3 hours.
- Put a couple of inches of water in a large pot and bring to the boil. Place steamer insert in the water, and add the cauliflower florets. Cover and steam for 12-14 minutes until tender. Drain and return cauliflower to the pot.
- Add the milk, ghee, and garlic. Blend the ingredients to a thick paste, resembling the consistency of grits. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Reserving the bacon fat in the pan, take the bacon out to cool. Break it into pieces.
- Add the butter to the bacon fat and melt. Add the onion, sauté for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add the remaining garlic cloves, dried oregano, and red pepper flakes. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently
- Stir in the white wine vinegar. Add the shrimp. Cook for around 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the shrimp and onion over grits, and garnish with the bacon and fresh oregano. Simply delicious…