Tony Robbins is a bestselling author, renowned speaker and coach determined to help you live a more successful life. Here are a dozen of his most motivational quotes to help you begin to change your life for the better.
1. “We can change our lives. We can do, have and be exactly what we wish.”
We are the only ones truly in control of the direction in which our lives travel the farthest. We do not stay at the bottom because of other people or situations: we stay there because we have not done anything to change our circumstances. We make it to the top because we wanted things to change, and proceeded to make it happen.
2. “It’s not the events of our lives that shape us, but our beliefs as to what those events mean.”
In life, a fair share of good and bad things will happen to you. However, you cannot let those things in any way define you as a person or the direction you wish to go in your life. You are the only one who can take control of those uncontrollable events, and decide for yourself how you think they should matter to you. When you keep your outlook positive, fewer bad things will occur, at least in perspective.
3. “It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.”
No one can make your decisions for you. Even if you ask for input from trusted friends and family, in the end you are the one who creates the path of your own destiny. If you make decisions to make other people happy, you will never end up where you truly want to be in life.
4. “To effectively communicate, we must realize that we are all different in the way we perceive the world and use this understanding as a guide to our communication with others.”
Everyone has an opinion that is different than yours in some area, and everyone takes pride in sharing their opinion with anyone who will listen. Successful communication is all about understanding the world through other people’s thoughts and beliefs. You may not agree with someone, but if you take the time to see things the way they see them, things become much less hostile and much more productive overall.
5. “The secret of success is learning how to use pain and pleasure instead of having pain and pleasure use you.”
The same way we can all learn from our mistakes, we can also use every good and bad thing that happens to us as a tool to guide the course of our lives. Never let something ‘happen’ to you; make something happen for yourself because of it.
6. “Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible.”
Nothing is for real until you actually make it happen for you, and in order to make something happen for you, you need to set goals that will help you get there. That is how dreams become achievements and ordinary people become successful leaders.
7. “The path to success is to take massive, determined action.”
This does not of course mean that by making big, rapid changes in your life you will find immediate success. To find success you must understand that even if you have the drive to do big things, you must be patient and accept gradual transformation. True success is the willingness to take action in small, but deliberate steps.
8. “Only those who have learned the power of sincere and selfless contribution experience life’s deepest joy: true fulfillment.”
You should never give with the expectation of receiving, especially when it comes to helping other people move forward with their lives. Do things for the right reasons, and you will receive the kind of reward not a single person will ever be able to give you: joy and satisfaction in knowing you did the right thing in someone else’s best interest.
9. “For changes to be of any true value, they’ve got to be lasting and consistent.”
Forming habits is all about routine. You need to do something consistently, for a very long time, before you will be able to produce results. You cannot expect to work out once and lose 20 pounds instantly, for example. You only adopt a healthy lifestyle when you form habits that you repeat often, and for the right reasons.
10. “If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.”
Many of us are afraid of change, terrified of doing something different without knowing how it will turn out. However, taking risks and being willing to accept whatever the associated outcome might be is how you achieve things you have never been able to achieve before. “I have always done it this way” is the phrase used in businesses and situations that are destined to fail. Always be willing to try something a different way. Never be afraid to experiment. Be prepared to learn from your failures and your successes alike.
11. “You always succeed in producing a result.”
Setting goals for our businesses or in our personal lives can be difficult. We don’t always know whether a goal is too far or too easy to reach. Each of us measures success a little differently, so it is always important to keep in mind that results, even small ones, can still be defined as success.
12. “What we can or cannot do, what we consider possible or impossible, is rarely a function of our true capability. It is more likely a function of our beliefs about who we are.”
We never see ourselves nearly as capable of success in any area as we actually are. If we believe we cannot do something, it is much more likely that we will not be able to do it. However, if we allow ourselves to believe that we are someone who can overcome that, if we believe that we can do something, it is much more likely that we will be able to achieve what we once perceived as impossible.
Remember: change is only one small decision away.