Need a little more happiness in your life? Here are a few quotes and sayings about happiness to lift your spirits.
1. “Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” – Greg Anderson
It is what you do – for others; for yourself – that makes you happy. You can spend all your life saying, “I want to start a business.” But if you never actually put any effort into doing that, you are never truly going to be happy with your life.
2. “Life is a journey, and if you fall in love with the journey, you will be in love forever.” – Peter Hagerty
Life is not just about where you want to end up by the time you reach the finish line. It is also about everything you experience as you are on your way to getting there. Learn to appreciate the life you are living – not just every once in awhile, but in every single moment.
3. “Our capacity to draw happiness from aesthetic objects or material goods in fact seems critically dependent on our first satisfying a more important range of emotional or psychological needs, among them the need for understanding, for love, expression and respect.” – Alain De Botton
There is a hierarchy that determines whether or not we can be truly happy with the things that we have. Among the most important things are not things at all – but emotions. We need to be surrounded by people who “get” us, who appreciate us and value who we are and what we have to offer, even if it is not always as perfect as we might hope it will be.
4. “Doing what you like is freedom. Liking what you do is happiness.” – Frank Tyger
In life, you are not always going to be satisfied with everything you have to do. No one likes to pay bills, run errands or sit in waiting rooms. But to be happy, you have to learn to like the things you spend the most time on – your job; your family; your social activities. Learn to love how you are spending your time, and happiness will never be a problem for you.
5. “The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.” Buddha
The past and the future are important considerations in life, but only as a guiding light for your actions and manners in the present time. You can’t go through life regretting what you can’t change. You also can’t worry about things that have not happened yet – at least, not if you want to be happy. Happiness is about doing the best you can right now, regardless of what has happened before, or may happen later
6. “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
Do what you can to spread kindness in the lives of other people you come into contact with throughout your life. People will never forget the way your presence in their lives makes them feel. If you make someone feel unsafe, unappreciated or unwelcome, they will associate you with those negative emotions for the rest of their lives. If you make someone feel loved, appreciated and protected, they will cherish you for as long as the two of you live.
7. “Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace and gratitude.” – Denis Waitley
No material thing from this world is going to be able to bring you any level of happiness unless you have love and thankfulness in your heart. If you are kind and grateful and you do what you can to love and appreciate everyone and everything around you, then you will be much happier throughout your life than most people ever will.
8. “Be happy with what you have. Be excited about what you want.” – Alan Cohen
Happiness is about being content with the way things are, with the people you have close to you and the things that you have in your possession. However, part of what makes happiness last is a willingness not to settle for being content. You can be happy now, but also look forward to what is still to come. Looking ahead does not mean you are unhappy. It means you are looking forward to all the happiness you have yet to experience in your life.
9. “Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better to take things as they come along with patience and equanimity.” – Carl Jung
Throughout your life, you are going to go through unhappy times. Not every single moment of your life is going to, or should be, happy. Everyone goes through hard times, but you must figure out how to get through them. Just think about how much you can appreciate being happy when things start getting better. If you were never given a reason to be sad, you might not even know what it means to be happy – and what a miserable life that would be!
10. “You cannot judge what should bring others joy, and others cannot judge what should bring you joy.” – Alan Cohen
Everyone has their own definition of what happiness means to them. Some people want nothing more than to be able to kick back with a good book and a latte for the rest of their life. Others enjoy work, and want to work as much and for as long as they possibly can before they have to retire. Never assume one thing will make someone else happy – the same way you do not want someone else to assume what will make you happy.