1. “There’s nothing wrong with staying small. You can do big things with a small team.” – Jason Fried
You are allowed to think big, but that does not mean a small business and working with a small group of people is going to destine your business for mediocrity or failure. Sometimes, small is better. It gives you more control over all the decisions related to your company. It is a good choice to stay small if you are someone who prefers to be hands on involved in what employees in your business are doing. There is nothing wrong with keeping your business on the small side.
2. “I’m convinced that about half of what separates the successful entrepreneurs from the non-successful ones is pure perseverance.” – Steve Jobs
If you want to become a successful entrepreneur, you need to make the decision right from the beginning to keep going no matter which obstacles you might encounter along the way. Success means pushing past everything that tries to stand in your way, even after you have achieved everything you have worked for.
3. “Watch, listen, and learn. You can’t know it all yourself. Anyone who thinks they do is destined for mediocrity.” – Donald Trump
You can’t do this alone, whether you believe you can or not. There is always going to be at least one person who knows more than you do and/or who is more experienced in your field. Pay attention to how they do things and do what you can to learn from them, in any and every way possible.
4. “To any entrepreneur: if you want to do it, do it now. If you don’t, you’re going to regret it.” – Catherine Cook
Do not wait. If you have an idea – and you also have an idea of how to turn that idea into a business of some kind – the time to start is now. If you wait, you will never do it, and if you never do it, you will regret it for the rest of your life.
5. “The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.” – Vince Lombardi
Learn how to motivate yourself to work even harder than you already are if you want to go far in the entrepreneurship world. It is the people who work harder and smarter than everyone else that end up making it big. If you already think you are working as hard as you possibly can, then work just a little bit harder.
6. “If you just work on stuff that you like and you’re passionate about, you don’t have to have a master plan with how things will play out.” – Mark Zuckerberg
Entrepreneurship starts with passion. Passion alone won’t carry you all the way to success, but it is where you need to start. If you like something and are dedicated enough to it that you would give anything to share it with the world, then do so.
7. “Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.” – Mark Twain
You do not know what is out there until you go out and find all the answers for yourself. If you want to start a business, if there is even a small desire within you to do so, do it. Do not hold yourself back. If owning your own business is something you want, the only way to learn how to make it happen is to get out there and make it happen, no matter the cost.
8. “When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” – Henry Ford
No one has ever said owning your own business is going to be easy. In fact, it is going to be difficult the majority of the time, especially in the beginning. You are going to face all kinds of challenges and go up against many competitors who seem to be doing so much better than you are. Just keep in mind that challenges are a part of helping both you and your business to grow. Embrace the difficulties that come along with owning your own business. They will all pay off in the end.
9. “It’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen.” – Scott Belsky
Becoming an entrepreneur does take a lot of work and responsibility, and that is because it is not enough just to have a good idea and keep it in your head. Entrepreneurship involves taking the ideas you do have and actually getting out there and creating something with them. That’s right – starting a business actually means you have to put a little bit (or a lot) of effort behind your inspiration. Put in the work and turn your idea into a business. The easiest way to find success is to work as hard as possible until you create a sustainable company. You can do it.
1o. “There’s lots of bad reasons to start a company. But there’s only one good, legitimate reason, and I think you know what it is: it’s to change the world.” – Phil Libin
If you really want to start a business that is going to make it off the ground and stay up in the air for a long time, make sure you are making that business happen for all the right reasons. Do not do it for the money or the fame or because everyone else you know has their own business and you want one, too. The best reason to start a business is to do it because you genuinely want to make a difference in the world.